energyStartup Summer Internships
The TomKat Center for Sustainable Energy has two internship programs. The objectives of the summer internships are for students to gain work experience, develop applied engineering knowledge, learn entrepreneurship in a startup environment, and build upon their academic studies. Between the two programs each student can only apply to three positions through the TomKat Center. If applications are received for more than three positions they will be randomly deleted.
1) TomKat Center-supported Internships: The TomKat Center offers a limited number of paid summer internships to Stanford undergraduate students at exciting Stanford-affiliated sustainable energy startup companies.
2) Industry-supported Energy Internships: The TomKat Center works with several exciting sustainable energy startup companies to help recruit talented Stanford undergraduate and masters students for paid summer internship positions.
Participating companies will conduct interviews and assist in making final selections. Successful candidates will be notified of their acceptance mid-March. A separate application must be submitted for each position, and each student can only apply to three positions. If applications are received for more than three positions, they will be randomly deleted.
With your application you will be asked to submit:
- A one-page cover letter detailing your qualifications, experience, and why you are suited for the specific position. (name document in this format: LastnameCompanyCover, ex. SmithAcmeCover)
- A resume. (name document in this format: LastnameCompanyResume, ex. SmithAcmeResume)
If you have any questions please contact Elizabeth Irino, firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to fulfilling the internship position's agreed-upon terms, all interns will need to perform these further program requirements:
- Attend a mandatory preparation session.
- Attend a mandatory mid-internship meeting at Stanford or through web conferencing.
- Submit a final report to the TomKat Center detailing their summer experience.
- Meet with the Center manager after the internship is complete.
The TomKat Center-supported Interns will receive a $7,500 stipend for an 8 week fulltime internship. The intern must have direct deposit activated in Axess by the first week of June so that the payment can be deposited directly into the account on file.
Industry-supported Energy Interns will receive payment directly from their host company.
The intern will be responsible for any of the tax implications of this award. While the TomKat Center is assisting with recruitment and funding for some of the internships, the external companies will serve as direct employers for all positions.
Travel, Housing, and Living Expenses
The intern is responsible for arranging and paying for their own housing and transportation during the internship. Access to a car may be required during the internship. Interns are responsible for all of their other internship-related expenses.