Positions: Marketing & Communications Intern
Location: Hybrid - Pier 9, San Francisco (office in the Autodesk Technology Center), Occasional In-State Travel, and Remote
Innovation Area: Built Environment and Infrastructure, Energy Management and Efficiency
Position Type: TomKat Center-supported
Internship Term: 8 weeks
Kit Switch is an early-stage construction startup creating modular interiors to form apartments inside vacant buildings, reducing both the cost and embodied carbon of multifamily developments. Kit Switch replaces the fragmented, uncertain, and time-consuming on-site retrofit process with standardized plug-and-play products. Our interior modules enable housing developers and contractors to cut weeks off schedules while increasing cost and time reliability. We manage a library of digital components, which allows architects to drag-and-drop pre-prepared 3D models and specs into project documentation, for production to run parallel to on-site work through a network of local manufacturing shops, and for seamless connections between the building systems and our product’s pre-integrated MEP.
At Kit Switch, we envision a future where our urban environments can achieve greater circularity, resiliency, and better meet the needs of their communities through easily deployable and reconfigurable building interiors. We are a woman-owned small business founded by Stanford Engineering graduates, with completed full-scale prototypes, pilot partners, and letters of intent.
Kit Switch is searching for a Marketing & Communications Intern ready to engage in an active and vibrant small team culture. We are deploying our first product line in pilot projects during the first half of 2023 in the San Francisco Bay Area and in partnership with Habitat for Humanity Los Angeles. During Summer 2023, we will need your help in growing our customer base to larger housing developers through strategic communication and marketing.
Some example projects include:
- Integrate and unify Kit Switch brand design (graphic designs, layouts, and formatting) into our customer web portal, software tools, website, and other marketing materials.
- Update website content, ensuring that product features and pricing packages are clear and up to date.
- Structure and update the company CRM with new leads and existing customers.
- Conduct a market study on motel/hotel conversions in California, and public programs such as Project HomeKey.
- Conduct user research on desired features and communicate customer insights to the team.
- Carry out data-driven research of strategic customers and buildings suited for Kit Switch conversions, retrofits, and ground-up, in partnership with CoStar or other relevant entity.
- Work with the team of researchers at NREL to incorporate findings from market and user research into an industry report on Kit Switch as part of our participation in the Wells Fargo Innovation Incubator.
- Identify media opportunities for Kit Switch to share the success and performance of Kit Switch products on our customer pilot projects across the Bay Area and the Los Angeles region, with the support of entities such as the Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator, USGBC-LA, Habitat for Humanity Los Angeles, Autodesk Research
We also look for an ability to:
- Work both independently and collaboratively in a small team
- Meet regularly and share progress through clear and effective communication
Who Should Apply
We welcome anyone with a creative spirit, curious mind, strong initiative, taste for problem-solving, and an ability to be flexible. We value crafting an enriching experience based on your own interests and goals. If you are passionate about improving the ways we build, want to work on challenging issues such as the affordable housing deficit and COVID-19 economic recovery, or are intrigued about sustainability, democratic design, industrialized construction, and circular production systems, this is the place for you!
- A background in Communication, Business, Marketing, Product Design, Architecture is favored but not required.
- Any experience with the following is preferred: graphic design, website design, CRM, data analysis, professional writing, market and industry reports.
- Familiarity with real estate, architecture, construction, and affordable housing.
- Squarespace, Figma, Bubble, Adobe Illustrator, C++, R, Python, SQL, Google Drive Suite, Microsoft Suite.
- A creative eye, good imagination, vision, and a firm grasp of market trends and customer preferences.
- Motivated, proactive, passionate, well-organized, and detail-oriented with excellent team communication skills.