Positions: Engineering Project Management Intern; Materials Engineering Intern; Mechanical Engineering Intern; Thermal Engineering Intern
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Innovation Area: Storage, Transmission and Management
Position Type: TomKat Center-supported; Industry-supported
Internship Term: 8 weeks
Backed by Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures and Chris Sacca’s Lowercarbon Capital, Antora Energy turns sunshine and wind into zero-carbon 24/7 heat and power, cheaper than fossil fuels, accelerating the world’s pathway to decarbonize industry and electricity. Propelled by a world-class team that includes leaders in their fields, Antora will eliminate gigatons of emissions while increasing U.S. energy security, reducing our dependence on global supply chains, supporting well-paying jobs, and protecting marginalized communities from industrial pollution.
We are growing our company with people who put team and mission first, value connection through laughter and joy, and build with humility and openness. Our people are our most valuable asset, and we are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to providing clean, reliable, and affordable energy to everyone on earth. People join our team to do the most fulfilling and impactful work of their lives on climate change. Join one of the world’s most transformative climate tech companies. We’re ready to decarbonize the global economy. Are you?
Engineering Project Management Intern
Work with a cross functional hardware (mechanical, electrical, process, system) engineering team on new materials, subsystem, and/or system development. Define resources, schedules, and costs for the associated project. Identify top risks to the project and work with the hardware engineering team to resolve in a timely manner. Ensure quantitative goals are defined, aligned, and tracked throughout the project.
Who Should Apply
Engineers passionate about stopping climate change!
Organized “makers” (hands on with electromechanical systems) that are clear communicator
- Mechanical Engineers
- Aerospace Engineers
- Electrical Engineers (with electromechanical experience)
- Systems Engineers
Materials Engineering Intern
Responsibilities will include one or more of the following:
- Support materials design and/or selection to drive issue resolution, performance, and fundamental understanding of material performance
- Assist in the model development and validation of high temperature performance of materials
- Develop computational workflows to enable thermodynamic and kinetic description of high temperature solid/gas reactions
- Assist in materials characterization as necessary
- Develop material cards to contribute to Antora’s material database and support Antora design engineers
- Create models to demonstrate the possible gains offered by a new material or process
Who Should Apply
- Material Science & Engineering
- Materials Chemistry
- Currently working towards an undergraduate degree in a relevant engineering program such as Material Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- Experience with physical/chemical analysis techniques
- Curiosity and willingness to learn new concepts and methods, design and execute experiments, as needed
- Currently working towards a MS or PhD degree in a relevant engineering program
- Fundamental knowledge of materials science, physical metallurgy and high temperature ceramics, refactories, and/or carbon composites
- Knowledge of process-structure performance relationships in sintered products and their relevant manufacturing processes
- Thermodynamics and kinetic modeling of moving boundary layers at solid/gas interfaces
- Facility with Python, Matlab, ThermoCalc, HSC Chemistry, Cantera, and/or MOOSE
- Facility with CAD tools such as ANSYS, SolidWorks, StarCCM+
- Exposure to thermal barrier coatings and/or thermal protection systems
- Enjoy challenging conventional wisdom
Mechanical Engineering Intern
We are seeking an exceptionally driven and passionate individual to join as interns in our solid-state thermal battery engineering team. You will collaborate with internal & external engineering teams to scope, define, design, model, prototype, validate, and iterate the mechanical, thermal and systems design of Antora thermal battery. You will be a key technical member of a cross-functional and rapidly growing organization. Your work will directly contribute to the demonstration of a first of a kind long-duration energy storage technology.
As an intern in this group, you will be responsible for:
- Drive the thermal, mechanical, controls, or systems design of Antora’s thermal battery system components during basic architecture evaluations, detailed design, analysis, prototype, test, or manufacturing phases
- Perform basic design calculations and back these with high fidelity or FEA modeling, where required
- Work on development of test setups or test execution of the full-scale components or sub-scale testing, as required on the project
Who Should Apply
The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in building hardware with specific interest in mechanical design, thermal systems analysis, controls implementation, or manufacturing. You want to have an impact and find large-scale infrastructure projects exciting and impactful.
The ideal candidate has expertise in one or more of the following:
- Mechanical design and Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Finite element analysis (FEA)
- Controls analysis and design
- Thermal modeling and analysis
Under-graduate or graduate students in engineering, physics, or other related disciplines with a passion for building hardware and having demonstrated skills in physics-based modeling, analytical design, and fabrication.
Thermal Engineering Intern
This internship will support a wide range of research initiatives for Antora’s System Engineering Team. The systems team is actively developing the next generation of our thermal storage technology - evaluating new high-temperature materials, system architectures and operating parameters in the process. This intern will help conduct experiments and basic numerical modeling, as well as help commission new experimental test beds.
Who Should Apply
We encourage anyone to apply who feels a connection with Antora’s core mission of stopping climate change. Even if your resume doesn’t neatly fit the stated requirements, we would love to hear your story and what motivates you to work on this problem.
- Currently enrolled in a BS degree program in an engineering field (e.g. Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Physics or similar)
- Basic competency with Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) products – Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc. or Microsoft Office equivalents – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Currently enrolled in a MS or PhD degree program in an engineering field (e.g. Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Physics or similar)
- Some experience performing hands-on engineering work in an industrial setting, preferably in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Subject area expertise in thermodynamics, heat transfer, high-temperature material properties, and/or high-temperature/high-voltage phenomena.
- Proficiency with numerical modeling / scientific computing software – MATLAB, Python, Excel, etc.
- Proficiency with 3D modeling and/or CFD software – Solidworks, Solidworks FlowSim, ANSYS, COMSOL, etc.