Positions: Research and Development Engineer
Location: Stanford, CA
Innovation Area: Energy, Food, Water, Human Health and Environment Nexus
Position Type: TomKat Center-supported
Internship Term: 8 weeks
Yocto is seeking creative and collaborative scientists and engineers to help pioneer next-generation bacterial detection in food and water. While bacterial infections such as tuberculosis, pneumonia, and salmonella may not often make headlines, they are responsible for more deaths than AIDS and many cancers and rank among the most expensive conditions to treat. Unfortunately, detection of bacteria can take days, even in state-of-the-art laboratories, increasing mortality, accelerating the spread of infectious disease, and promoting the evolution of antibiotic-resistant pathogens.
Yocto is an early-stage company pioneering next-generation bacterial identification and detection. We are developing a rapid and low-cost optical technology to identify bacterial infections and screen for antibiotic susceptibility. Instead of relying on bacterial cultures to amplify the number of pathogens to a detectable level, we use bioprinting to split the sample into single-cellular pixels. Optical spectral images, in conjunction with state-of-the-art algorithms, are used to detect and identify pathogens in the sample, down to the single-pathogen level. Results are uploaded to a regional network to monitor the spread of infection and provide an early warning of outbreaks.
- Design and execute experiments for spectral interrogation of cellular samples in various media.
- Perform basic spectral data analysis.
- (Optional) Characterize our homebuilt bioprinter with distinct cellular samples.
- (Optional) Explore design options for a fully integrated platform.
Who Should Apply
We welcome applicants at any stage in their career who are passionate about sustainability, enthusiastic to work on a multidisciplinary project and team, and unafraid to learn new skills.
- Basic experience in optical spectroscopy and instrumentation.
- Familiarity with data analysis software (Matlab and/or python)
- Knowledge of optical system design and/or bioprinting.
- Familiarity with basic microbiology is a huge plus.
Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, Applied Physics, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biophysics, Chemistry, Computer Science