Weave Grid Internship
Positions: Applied Data Scientist; Business & Policy Analyst; Software Engineer
Location: San Francisco, CA
Innovation Area: Generation and Conversion
Position Type: TomKat Center-supported
Internship Term: 8 weeks (can be extended with additional compensation)
Weave Grid is enabling an electric transportation future by building a machine learning enabled utility platform for grid optimization and asset management by predicting and managing electric vehicle charging.
Our software solution solves several EV-grid integration challenges for utilities in a systems-oriented manner, while also helping better integrate renewable energy and saving utility customers money on their bills. Our vision is to build the world’s largest distributed battery by intelligently connecting electric vehicles to the grid.
We are recruiting for three roles: Applied Data Scientist; Business & Policy Analyst; Software Engineer
Potential summer internship tasks & responsibilities may include:
- Develop prototype product features, distilling rich EV data to valuable insights for utilities and other end users
- Enhance the Weave Grid data pipeline, helping to facilitate predictive models of energy management
- Create complex simulations that put dollar values on the impact of managed charging algorithms and policies
- Conduct detailed market and customer research to scope new opportunities and potential business value.
- Support executive team with ongoing engagements with investors, projects, and partners.
Who Should Apply
We are looking for students to join our team who:
- Have passion for driving transport-sector and grid decarbonization
- Want to know more about electric vehicles, the electric grid and applications of data science to solve valuable commercial problems with climate impact
- Enjoy working in fast-paced, unstructured environments
- Assume initiative - identifying requirements and independently fulfilling them
- Can rapidly pick up new ideas and practices
- Are a clear and thoughtful communicator
- Stay consistently positive when addressing challenges
For software and data science roles, we are seeking individuals with:
- Rigorous foundational training in Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Physical Sciences or related fields
- Fluency using core data science tools like SQL and Python (and libraries like Pandas, Numpy, Scikit-learn) or R (experience with NoSQL datastores a plus)
- Familiarity with Git and distributed version control
For business & policy roles, we will prioritize candidates with:
- Strong industry familiarity in electric utilities, vehicle manufacturers, or both.
- Talent for finding relevant public documents, digging deeply and quickly pulling out key numbers and core insights
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written documents and presentations
- Excel modeling skills for financial analysis and value estimation.
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaborating with colleagues from engineering, data, product, design and executive teams
- Intellectual humility and curiosity
- Computer Science
- Earth Sciences