Positions: Engineering Intern
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Innovation Area: Energy, Food, Water, Human Health and Environment Nexus
Position Type: TomKat Center-supported
Internship Term: 8 weeks
WindBorne Systems is supercharging weather models with a unique proprietary data source: constellations of next-generation smart weather balloons targeting the most critical atmospheric data. Our long-term vision is to eliminate weather uncertainty, and in the process help humanity adapt to climate change, be that predicting hurricanes or speeding the adoption of renewables. The founding team of Stanford engineers was named Forbes 2019 30 under 30 and is backed by top investors including Khosla Ventures.
Responsibilities will vary based on which project area you are interested in, but we generally offer the opportunity to work on real world projects which have impacts on our technological stack.
Who should apply
As a WindBorne intern, you will be working on real, mission-critical projects. We're dedicated to helping humanity adapt to climate change as fast as possible, and part of that is having interns contribute in a meaningful way. If you like the idea of working on cutting edge technology that has an impact, and working with a fast moving team with a good sense of humor, WindBorne is the place for you.
- Working towards a degree in engineering/physical science
- Able to show up in person (SF Bay Area)
- Willingness to put in 50-60 hours a week
- Comfort with working in a fluid environment where priorities can change quickly
What we look for:
- Projects outside of class, either on your own or through a project team like a rocketry club, high altitude balloon team, robotics team, solar car team, etc.
- A love of engineering deep enough that you do it as a hobby
- Passion for making an impact, especially in environmentalism/climate change
- Scrappiness: You think outside the box to come up with unconventional solutions
- When in doubt you return to a strong understanding of first principles
- Self-sufficiency: You can manage a project on your own with minimal outside guidance
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Systems Software
- Embedded Software
- Digital Design
- Full Stack Web Development
- Data Science
- Sensors Engineering