Positions: Multiple Internships Available - Software Engineer (Front-end, Back-end, and Infrastructure); Applied Data Scientist; Business & Policy Analyst; Design/UX; Communications
Location: San Francisco, CA (if possible, otherwise remote is fine)
Innovation Area: Generation and Conversion
Position Type: TomKat Center-supported
Internship Term: 8 weeks
Our mission is to drive rapid decarbonization in global transport and power sectors by intelligently connecting electric vehicles to the grid.
Our software uses predictive analytics and systems optimization to make it cheaper and safer for utilities to support the growth of electric vehicles, increase renewable energy adoption, and save customers money.
Potential summer internship tasks & responsibilities may include:
- Develop prototype product features, distilling rich EV data to valuable insights for utilities and other end users
- Perform design, UX, & front-end software development work for user-facing web and mobile applications
- Enhance the Weave Grid data pipeline, helping to facilitate predictive models of energy management
- Create complex simulations that estimate dollar savings from implementing different behavioral interventions and automation strategies
- Conduct detailed market and customer research to scope new opportunities and potential business value.
- Support executive team with ongoing engagements with investors, projects, and partners.
Who Should Apply
We are looking for people to join our team who:
- Have passion for driving transport-sector and grid decarbonization
- Want to know more about electric vehicles, the electric grid and applications of data science to solve valuable commercial problems with climate impact
- Enjoy working in fast-paced, unstructured environments
- Assume initiative - identifying requirements and independently fulfilling them
- Can rapidly pick up new ideas and practices
- Are a clear and thoughtful communicator
- Stay consistently positive when addressing challenges
For all candidates, we will favor those with:
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaborating with colleagues with diverse backgrounds and skill sets
- Applicable domain knowledge in energy systems & markets
- Intellectual humility and curiosity
For software engineering, we look for candidates with some combination of:
- Demonstrated prior software engineering work, from internships or projects
- Exposure to core design & UI/UX concepts and tools
- Prior interaction with cloud infrastructure tools, especially AWS
- Competency in Python and/or Go
- Familiarity with Git and distributed version control
For data science, we are seeking individuals with:
- Rigorous foundational training in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, Physical Sciences or related fields
- Fluency using core data science tools like SQL and Python (and libraries like Pandas, Numpy, Scikit-learn) or R, along with data visualization tools
For business & policy, we will prioritize candidates with:
- Strong industry familiarity in electric utilities, vehicle manufacturers, or both.
- Talent for finding relevant public documents, digging deeply and quickly pulling out key numbers and core insights
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written documents and presentations
- Excel modeling skills for financial analysis and value estimation