Positions: Research Associate
Location: San Leandro, CA
Innovation Area: Storage, Transmission and Management
Position Type: TomKat Center-supported
Compensation: $11,250 ($7,500 paid directly by the TomKat Center and $3,750 paid by Cuberg)
Internship Term: 12 weeks
Cuberg is commercializing a next-generation lithium metal battery to power the future of electric mobility. Our battery technology provides huge benefits in terms of energy density, power, and safety, all in a format that allows for rapid scaling. Be part of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transform the future of electric mobility.
We are currently seeking motivated Interns in the areas of materials science, engineering, data, and test. These positions require strong knowledge in chemistry, engineering, data, or science.
We are looking for candidates who have a passion for making an impact in our sustainable energy future and who will thrive in a rapidly evolving, close-knit, and dynamic early-stage startup environment. The ideal candidate will think independently, be unafraid to take on major responsibilities, and perform all tasks with diligence and care.
Join us in building the future of energy.
The company was acquired in 2021 by Northvolt, a global supplier of sustainable, high-quality battery cells and systems. As Northvolt's Advanced Technology Center operating in Silicon Valley, Cuberg is developing and commercializing lithium metal batteries, building an innovation ecosystem around lithium-ion technology, and leveraging Northvolt's state-of-the-art manufacturing capabilities to rapidly scale up production of advanced batteries.
- Review and understand scientific literature on lithium metal technology
- Prepare novel electrolyte formulations to enhance lithium metal cyclability
- Fill, seal, form, and cycle R&D pouch cells for evaluation of new electrolytes
- Perform a variety of electrochemical and physical characterization experiments
- Present results to the team and suggest new pathways for development
Who Should Apply
We are looking for candidates who:
- Have a passion for making an impact in the energy sector
- Thrive in a dynamic startup environment and can adapt to changing needs
- Think independently from first principles to solve difficult problems
- Enjoy hands-on lab work and experimentation
- Working knowledge of battery fundamentals and operation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail, documentation, and standard operating procedures
- Has a do-whatever-it-takes attitude, thrives in a fast-paced startup environment, and is capable of delivering project deliverables on time
Skills: electrochemical characterization, basic wet lab skills
Majors: materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or other STEM majors