Fervo Energy Internship
Positions: Software Engineer – Machine Learning and Computational Science
Location: Berkeley, CA
Innovation Area: Generation and Conversion
Position Type: TomKat Center-supported
Internship Term: 8 weeks
Fervo Energy is a Stanford-based startup focused on unlocking the 100 GW domestic resource for geothermal energy by innovating in geoscience. We believe in a 100% clean electricity future – our advanced geothermal technology provides a flexible load profile that complements intermittent renewables like wind and solar, making it possible to decarbonize the most difficult segments of the power sector.
You will have the opportunity to work directly with a growing team that has raised venture capital from premier Silicon Valley funds such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures as well as multimillion-dollar grants from the US Department of Energy.
Fervo’s founders are part of Cohort 4 at Cyclotron Road giving our team access to world-class R&D facilities at the Berkeley National Lab. We are currently developing a full-scale pilot project to test and validate our technology in a geothermal field.
Software Engineer – Machine Learning and Computational Science
As a software engineer, you will work directly with the Fervo engineering team to:
- Use machine learning, pattern recognition, deep learning, statistical analysis, and physics-based models to solve practical engineering problems in geothermal energy
- Develop new models and algorithms to analyze and visualize large, complex datasets to inform commercial decisions
- Present and communicate insights to Fervo leadership
Who Should Apply
Great people are the most important the most important resource we have. Candidates should have a passion for clean energy with a strong technical background in science or engineering. You should apply if you:
- Want exposure to a well-funded early stage clean tech startup
- Enjoy tackling challenging problems involving complex physics and massive geophysical datasets
- Want your work to make an immediate impact
Join us and work alongside world-class engineers, researchers, investors, and developers in making geothermal a key pillar of our climate-friendly energy future.
Candidates should have an interest in engineering and scientific computing for applications in energy. Preference will be given to candidates with work experience or coursework in at least one of the following areas:
- Python, R, Julia
- GPU programming
- Machine learning
- Earth science (geology, geophysics, petroleum engineering, civil engineering, etc.)
Computer Science, Energy Resources Engineering, Geophysics, Geological Sciences, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering (all majors welcome to apply).